What is ISMN
ISMN (International Standard Music Number) is an international standard music number that is used to identify noted music publications (a part, a score, or an element in a multimedia kit).
Who assigns ISМN in the Republic of Macedonia
The ISМN Agency of the Republic of Macedonia under the National and University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje.
Which publications receive ISМN
ISMN is assigned to:
- miniature (study) scores
- vocal scores
- sets of parts
- individual parts, available separately
- pop folios
- composition collections
- song books (pop, jazz, rock, folklore music etc...)
- other media that are an integral component of a publication of notated music (e.g., a tape recording that is one of the «parts» of a composition)
- song texts or lyrics published with the notated music (if available separately)
- commentaries published with the notated music (also available separately)
- micro-form music publications
- Braille music publications
- electronic publications of musical notations
The following are not to be given ISМN:
- books on music except when they contain examples of notated music
- stand-alone sound or video recordings (including recordings available on computer media)
- serial publications
Application of ISMN
A separate ISMN must be assigned to every different edition of an item and when there is a change in the musical or literary content of a work. New ISMN number is not assigned to a new unchanged edition or reprint of the same format from the same publisher.
ISМN designation awarded once a title should not be used for another title.
Printing of the ISMN on a music publication
The ISMN must be printed on the back of a score or part. If practicable, the ISMN should also be printed with the copyright notice. f the item involves display of content stored in electronic form (e.g. an online item), the ISMN shall appear on the page or screen that displays the title or its equivalent.