What is German Reading Room?
The German reading room, opened in the late 1994 in the National and University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski” – Skopje, is one of the 57 reading rooms, which from 1992 were opened by the initiative of the Ministry of foreign affairs of the Federal Republic of Germany. Its activity and successful development are based on the mutual partnership of the host library and the Goethe Institute.
Through the materials available in the Reading Room in Skopje, interested Macedonian citizens can get acquainted with the German culture.
What can you find in the German Reading Room?
Holdings - informs about the German culture and society. In the German Reading Room you can find publications of German literature, language, including multimedia guidebooks, history, philosophy, psychology, art, music, film, theater, economics, politics… Most of the media can be borrowed. However, you have the opportunity to watch and listen the CDs, DVDs, videotapes and CD-ROMs in the Reading Room.
More than 5.000 library items
Books, among them a number of reference books; magazines and newspapers; DVDs and videotapes; audio book CDs, music CDs, audio book tapes and music cassettes; CD-ROM data bases.
Information Service – In the German Reading Room interested people can obtain information on various topics related to Germany. For that purpose, users have at their disposal: reference books, encyclopedias, lexicons, dictionaries, CD-ROM data bases and free Internet access.
For anyone interested – A tour through the German Reading Room and introduction of the reading room operations can be arranged.
Landing and using
The German Reading Room is available to all users.
- or borrowing media a membership card is required Every subscribed user at the National and University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski” - Skopje receives a free membership card for the German Reading Room.
- To use the German Reading Room holdings without borrowing, it is sufficient to submit an ID or passport.
- Two books, two magazines/newspapers, two video or audio tapes or CDs/DVDs can be borrowed at the same time.
- Reference books, CD-ROMs, and DVDs with green label cannot be borrowed.
Books, audio books on CDs, audio book tapes – 20 days;
Magazines, newspapers, music CDs and music tapes – 10 days;
DVDs, videotapes – 3 days.
Extension of landing period
The landing period may be extended only once, provided the medium is not pre-booked by another user. The extension may be performed during the Reading Room working hours, written via e-mail or via telephone.
In case the medium is not returned after the expiration of the landing period, after 8 days of expirations follows a written warning via e-mail.
The long bright space of the Reading Room with its flexible furniture is perfectly adaptable for literary readings, lectures, exhibitions of posters and books. Seminars, German classes and film screenings can be held in the closed room in the back. In the front near the magazines is the new reading corner where the users can read a newspaper or a book.
- Film screenings for groups of students and pupils
- Readings, poster and book exhibitions by German authors
- German classes by lecturers, professors and professional counselors in the Reading Room
- Cooperation and contact with other institutions.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
11:00 – 14:30
12:00 – 18:00
* First Saturday of every month: 11:00 – 15:00
Тел.: ++ 389 2 31 23 349
phone.: ++ 389 2 31 15 177, ext. 127
German Reading Room on Facebook: Германска Читалница Скопје - Deutscher Lesesaal Skopje
German Reading Room on Web site: Германска Читалница Скопје - Deutscher Lesesaal Skopje